Monday, August 9, 2010

my need to write


I have received several journals as gifts lately. I have had a number of conversations with people that are much wiser than I am and whose opinions and words mean much to me. It is all pointing in the same direction - I need to write. I should write. And yet this huge desire and the gift of time that I now have to indulge also overwhelms and scares me. After all, what in the world would I write about? I have many stories and thoughts bottled up and truly do not know where to start. I want to write children’s books and I want to write about my life. I want to write love stories and about finding oneself. I want to write short stories and I want to write a novel. I want to write about those that I know well and about strangers. I don’t know where to start and who will listen. I love pouring my heart out in my journal (93 pages written while I was in Europe!) but sometimes I feel like I have nothing good to write about in my blog. How can a writer have nothing to write about? To not know what to say? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

I am adjusting to being back - not sure if I am adjusting well or just going through motions that make it seem like I am settling into my new east coast living. I am surprised how much I miss my traveling lifestyle. I don’t think that is my last trip this year - at least I hope that it is not but unfortunately, I need to look at my finances and see what is realistic and what I can actually afford. I have a strong desire to go to Asia and continue my Eat, Roots, Love trip - we will see how it all shakes out and what is in the cards for me these next few weeks/months. I never realized that I say we’ll see as often as I apparently do until Kristen pointed it out somewhere between Spain and Portugal and now I am much more conscious of it. Of course I also noticed how much my dad says it when we were on our cruise - I guess that is where I get it from.

No comments: