Monday, January 24, 2011

stuff and travel itinerary

Why do I have such a hard time getting rid of stuff? Whether it be digital photos that are already downloaded, text messages, ticket stubs and all sorts of paper - I tend to hold on tight for as long as possible. I don't know what I expect to do with this stuff or why it is all so meaningful to me and difficult to just hit delete...but it is. Current state: I have over 30,000 emails in my inbox (ridiculous) , my text messages are 99% full (of what?) and I just spent the past 30 minutes going through to try to determine which photos I can live without seeing on my camera screen. I seriously have problems! The paper hoarding - or whatever you want to call it - is over the top. I am sure there are boxes of receipts, cards, mementos in most drawers that I have and that just seem to multiply endlessly.

Tomorrow at this time, Kendall and I will be trying to catch some shut eye on the plane in preparation for the start of our European holiday. I am tickled pink that we get this time together. I love that I have had the past year to come and go as I please and take advantage of opportunities like that. I am beyond blessed for the two sets of parents that I have: Dad for pouring over hotels for hours and trying to figure out the best ones for us, Joanne for always encouraging me to take the next trip and helping me pack, Kevin for making this trip happen and Mom for all of her support and running around.
The agenda looks like this: Amsterdam our first two nights, train to Cologne to stay for three nights with Markus, spending a few nights at a hostel in Brussels, and end our time together in Paris. From there Ken will go on to meet her French host family in Dijon and I will chunnel over to the UK. I hope to write and reflect and soak every delicious minute up.

"Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle or end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best out of it without knowing without knowing what is going to happen next, delicious ambiguity." Gilda Redner

No comments: