Tuesday, November 23, 2010

culture shock

I have been back in the states now for just over one week - and in so many ways it is as if I have never left. But I did. And honestly, this past trip was probably the most eye-opening and significant in my understanding of the world. I didn't quite know why I was thankful to have pretty much whatever I wanted so easily accessible but why it also bothered me. Why me and not the beautiful people that I came in contact with in Southeast Asia? Don't get me wrong...I so appreciate having western toilets, being able to read menus and traveling on roads where I am not having to hang on for dear life. But something has been nagging at me. I called my grandmother to let her know that I was home safely and looking forward to seeing her over Thanksgiving and she solved my little issue: culture shock. "I always found I was in a bit of culture shock after returning home from my Asian trips," she told me and then I knew that is what I have been going through. We have so much stuff, have so many options, don't need to worry about clean drinking water or malnutrition. I am thankful for all of the blessings in my life but also sad that not everyone has all of the things that I do. It is hard for me to think of buying Christmas gifts or making a Christmas list when I would rather be sending money to families in need. I guess you could say that I am still adjusting to the ways of the western world. Regardless of how much time goes by, I hope to always remember what I saw, how I felt and how I was touched.

No comments: