Tuesday, November 16, 2010

jet lag at its finest

Honestly, part of me always thought that jet lag was just something that people complained about. Then I was wide awake at 3:30 am this morning and have totally changed my mind. Its real and its fairly exhausting and my alarm hasn't even thought about going off yet. I have a feeling that I will crash hard this afternoon but until then...
I wanted to be blogging a lot more from Southeast Asia. I was religious about writing in my journal and filled almost 40 pages in the too short time that I was there, so at least that is something. There were so many highlights and each day was vastly different from the next that it is hard for me to name what my favorite was or try to explain it all in a few sentences.
I can tell you this: I have never been to anywhere as remote as the little 1,000 people island of Don Deng where we stayed in Laos. I have never known such wonderment as the day we spent in Angkor Wat - one of the wonders of the world. I have never met as many selfless people as the ones at New Hope Cambodia. I never knew that you could bond with so many little souls without even being able to speak the same language but just want to soak up their smiles each and every day. We were lucky. Our group was great - 14 of us from all over (Australia, Germany, England, Finland, Canada, Italy, etc.)
And now I am back to being surrounded by familiar things and absolutely covered in mosquito bites from my very last night in Bangkok when my bag complete with deet was packed. Not going to lie, yesterday was a long day and I barely slept for 30 minutes of the 18 hours. But it was absolutely worth it! I miss noodles for breakfast and saying sabidi and all of the majesty that I saw in three countries in 3 life-changing weeks.
“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” –Jawaharial Nehru

No comments: