Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A day that I will never forget (Cambodia)

I really had no idea what to expect going into this project. Wasn't sure what I would see and if I would be able to handle it, wasn't sure if I should coat myself with DEET or sun cream, wasn't sure if I would really use the work gloves that dad got me from home depot when I spent more than people here earn in one month at Target...then the past few hours happened.
We took tuk tuks down pot hole filled roads to arrive at New Hope. What an amazing place. Immediately we were greeted by Ron- an Australian who gave it all up sight unseen to do what he does and help all of the kids. I was able to sit in on a classroom for the first little bit. Big smiles, wide eyes and so much love is how I would describe the kids that stood up and bowed to us and chanted how are you when we walked in. Some of them just stared at me. Some didn't say a word but ran up and gave me the biggest hug. Some showed me their work book with their lesson for the day (it was big J, little j day). Right away, I felt full. I didn't know what to say or do but hoped that I could make them smile. Some asked my name and how old I was. I was called "teacher" and certainly had a respect for theirs that stood up in front of them all and tried to get them to focus on their letters and numbers. After class was recess and the kids were playing in the common area with jump ropes and hula hoops. It was great to see the joy and hear the laughter even though you know that they have so little at home. One of the girls had her much younger sister with her who couldn't have been more than 2 years old. Ron said that used to be a huge problem and distration and so they started a pre-K classroom. The kids didn't have anyone to look after them and so it fell on to the older siblings shoulders...we watched the younger class listen to a story being read, sing the wheels on the bus, etc. After saying goodbye, we moved next door where Ron explained about the NGO which was founded by a Cambodian and has grown in just a few years to teach over 550 children. We then went over to the health clinic that is also a part of the project. They help to educate many on HIV and so many other things. There are doctors and nurses mostly from Europe that volunteer to be there which blows my mind. In October, they saw just about 900 patients. The "Western doctor" was so admirable and extremely good looking! We tuk tuked over to see the site we would be demolishing after lunch. Words cannot even describe what conditions these poor people are living in. A well is shared by 30-40 families. Their homes are little one room shacks...and yet the kids are so happy, so adorable and so loving. I loved looking into their eyes and being close to them. We gloved and masked up and helped to demolish home in a swamp where a family of 7 was living. The rest of the week, we will work to build a proper cement house for them on the farm. I got to hold one of the youngest girls on my lap as we drove them over to the halfway house where women and children are for many, horrible reasons. The bamboo, wood and tin were torn apart and her sister had been wandering around crying earlier...I didn't put two and two together as to why. I gave stickers to the children (thanks to Val for the awesome idea!). They loved them and bowed. It was hard to leave them there. I will never forget the light in their eyes, the laughter and hope. I want to help in ways that I cannot even wrap my head around at the moment.
http://www.newhopecambodia.com/

No comments: