Wednesday, September 15, 2010

travel section

Yesterday I D2ed it down to Dupont Circle to meet Jenn and her new baby Olivia for lunch. Thanks to facebook I had recently discovered that within the past year Jenn had had a baby and moved from Beverly Hills back to the area - we are on the same cross country move path apparently. Beforehand, I wandered into this very cool book store where I easily could have spent hours. There was a whole section dedicated to travel writing! I picked up every book - marveling at the topics. Oh wait a minute, you mean there has already been a book written about a woman who quit her corporate america job in search of herself? Figures. Well perhaps I can shift my focus to meeting my extended and embracive family and the reunion that took place this past July - something like that has been done before too. Maybe, I can write about all of the crazies that happened to me while on the road - from tea burns in Ireland to the pharmacy translations in France - dozens of these exist as well. The entire section enticed me and annoyed me at the same time. But mostly I was glad to know that if I do something like this, there will be a home for it on a shelf in a eclectic DC bookstore.
The shower went well - thank goodness. The food was good, Paige received some great gifts and the poem was a hit! This past weekend I also got to have dinner night at the Miller-Reese's who I missed so much. And spend some time at the hospital with Jay, Craig and Nolan! He slept soundly in my arms for over an hour and I loved every second of it.
Right now I am sitting on a starbucks rooftop (this is a first for me). It is hard for me to believe that not that long ago starbucks was part of my morning ritual in sf and now I only go once in a blue moon. I much prefer the local coffee places but my sb gift card lured me in - well, that and the roof top.
I had almost forgotten how much I truly love September. The warm sunny days and perfect evenings suck me in and I just want to spend as much time as I can outside.
Last year at this time we were living the Italian lifestyle on the Amalfi coast - ahhhhh - how I am anxious to pack up my backpack again and discover a new part of the world.
"Collect experiences, not things"

No comments: