Wednesday, May 19, 2010

my grandmother, my hero

My grandma blows me away. I was lucky enough to spend part of the day with her yesterday and literally was in awe of how much she is doing to change peoples lives, how much she has accomplished, how modest she is and how way ahead of her times she really was. I think that my two month trip is kind of a big deal but I have not packed up my bags and traveled to Asia for months not knowing where I was going to stay and going into not necessarily safe areas. She has written a book about her most recent experience with the church and converting and it's release date is today! There are already people singing it's praises and a big write up on her talent. She calls people that she has met along the way regularly. One lady in particular who has alzheimer's disease and often forgets when they last talked and yet Bubi calls her every week and it is often the only call this woman receives. I love to hear stories of her growing up and of her experiences. She has a special place in her house dedicated to prayer and reflection. She traced her roots and wrote about it. She is putting me in touch with our Czech relatives that I am hopeful to connect with this summer. She doesn't realize what a big deal she really is at almost 85. Mom said that I get my sense of adventure and travel from her and that makes me proud.

No comments: