Sunday, October 4, 2009
Bari 16 09 09
Packing again... Alessansro picked Kristen and I up this morning and drove us to Naples (owe him big time). We arrived in Naples around noon, bought bus tickets to Bari (well, we actually didn't and we instructed not to talk, he take care of). We had lunch - pizza and soup - bought sunglasses which was one of the funniest transactions I've ever seen and said good-bye. After several hours, we arrived in Bari pretty clueless about how to kill the next few hours before boarding our over-night ferry to Dubrovnik. We were "Rick-less" and bogged down with our luggage. We bought over-night train tickets to Milan and ventured off in search of a place to eat/drink/be merry. Bari was much different than any where else we had been. Not as many people spoke English and people had warned us that it wasn't extremely safe. Our first stop was a cafe where we had iced coffee. We discovered that most trattoria's were closed but were determined to find somewhere... my back was hurting and we were getting ancy when we stumbled upon an intenet cafe that was very reasonable - the cost for an hour was the same as 15 minutes at our hotel. ps- I am not as good as I would like to be at doing math in my head and trying to convert euros and dollars and vice versa. We ended up at a McDonald's after updating our status'. People smoke everywhere - we are very much in the minority. Caught a cab to the port - our driver was so proud of his city and he pointed out the main down town area. We checked in and then waited in line to get though customs (not a highlight). It had been a loooong travel day at this point. Finally we got on the ferry and found our cabin - um, I could touch both walls. We did a quick loop around the ship, laughed at the disco and then took a sleeping pill, read and went to bed. The boat was noisy and we were in the back, bottom corner but I got used to it. A bit after 7 am, the alarm went off and I thought we could take our time getting off - apparently not. We were the last people on board! We hurried and got our stuff together and at least didn't have to wait in line...Croatia - we have arrived!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment