Monday, October 22, 2012

star gazing

I was in a hazy state laying somewhere between sleeping and being aware of the noises of the house and what was happening around me early, early yesterday morning. The time was 4:32 am on Sunday after just going to bed (at least that is what it felt like!) as I pulled layers on and rushed outside. The stars were breathtakingly bright. It made me wonder if it is always like this and I just don't stare up and notice or if it is one of the rare nights when something special happens. And so we laid on the wet grass with sleep in our eyes, looking up at the sky. Within a few minutes, I saw a shooting star out of the corner of my eye. It was pretty spectacular and soon there were more. Many that I missed, but an occasional that I would see zoom by. It made me feel small and part of something spectacular even though I couldn't quite get warm. I wondered if others were doing the exact same thing at the exact same moment. If they were not, they were missing out. It made me wonder what else we miss out on while we are fast asleep. I loved spotting the moving stars and the peaceful feeling of soaking it all in. I love that my family is one that wants to do something like this. I hope to be the type of person that relishes in the stars - and all other beautiful scenes that surround us in this amazing world.

“We lay there and looked up at the night sky and she told me about stars called blue squares and red swirls and I told her I'd never heard of them. Of course not, she said, the really important stuff they never tell you. You have to imagine it on your own.” 
-BA 

No comments: