Wednesday, July 27, 2011

officially a working girl

Well...my days of leisure are over. I am now a working girl. Back to the real world. Today marked my 3rd day with Tidal and I must say it is so great to be among familiar faces and super smart people. I was dropped off at the Baltimore office on Monday morning (thanks to mom and Kevin who returned from their European honeymoon this past weekend and have now had to shuttle me back and forth). I sat at the "bar" while people came in and helped unload the dishwasher. My boss arrived from NYC and before I knew it I had a working laptop and fun email address: kelly@tidaltv.com - yay! I just love start ups. The mentality, the family feel, the absence of red tape and the friendless of everyone - yes, I must admit, I did miss this. The office lost power twice that day. I sat in on a call or two and was transported back a few years. All of the sudden it was as if nothing had changed...ahhhhh, work.

It was a great first day! I was dropped off at Penn Station with my bag packed for New York later that night and headed up on the train which was so very easy. Got to see Christina who happened to be in town - :)! Yesterday I took a cab to my new office. The cab driver was so nice and we talked the whole way. He asked if I was from Texas (must be my southern accent) - ha. I told him that NYC would soon be my home and that it was my second day of work. He dropped me smack dab in the middle of Times Square. Seriously?! This is where I will go to work everyday? It is the next building over from where the ball drops on New Years Eve. Right near the NYPD and all of the crazy lights and ads that light up the whole city and where people stop for the perfect photo of them in front of one of the busiest blocks in the world - which is now where I will be working. Oy! So I tried very hard to not be distracted by the lights and crowds and mob scene that I am hoping will soon just blend in. Work was...overwhelming. I realize that I am new and still getting ramped up (obvi) but I really don't like not knowing things and I want to be GREAT.

I took the subway down to happy hour with Maria, Jason, XT and crew - it was so good to see them! Made my way over to HB's part of town just before the storm set in. We waited it out a bit and then headed over to a little, neighborhood spanish restaurant where we shared a bottle of wine and everything we have been up to the past few months. It was a great night!

Somehow my time off already seems far away...how is the possible? I am feeling fairly confident with Amtrak after riding the rails a time or two. Day 3, Week 1 - check. T - four days until I fly across the pond. My list of stuff that I need to get done between now and then is crazy long - and growing. Yup, back in the swing of things - look out world!

No comments: