Thursday, July 1, 2010

Blogging from the Med

Although I miss my mac something crazy and am used to having my phone as an extension of myself, it is refreshing and a nice change to not have either. Certainly it makes things more challenging, sometimes difficult and very much old school – but there are worse things for sure. I’ve watched little to no tv in the past month –haven’t seen the news, have no idea what is going on in Hollywood (does it really matter that much?) The cruise is coming to an end in the next few days. Yesterday we were in Athens where we and thousands of others explored the Acropolis. It was sweltering and crowded but once we finally got to the top, it was worth it. I only remember bits and pieces of being there as a teenager (how I sometimes wish that my memory was better). We took this 5 euro white train touristy hop on hop off tour after and managed to avoid the rain as a result but watched as others ran for cover. By the time it was over, the rain had stopped and we were craving Greek cuisine. Came upon this authentic restaurant just off a main shopping street where the guy took us under his wing and showed us all of their specialty dishes –forget about it. We had the most delicious plate fulls of rice-meat balls in an egg/lemon sauce with fava beans and some kind of specialty dish of beef with potatoes, feta, peppers, tomatoes = such deliciousness! I hate to admit this but I have gotten completely used to the spoiled cruise lifestyle. Everyone calls me ma’am and wants to make sure that my day is as good as it could be. I love sleeping to the rocking of the ship. I love that there are so many options all of the time. I love that my bed is made when I get back from breakfast. I love running into the people that we have met in the past week and a half including the Australian family with 5 kids that have adorable accents. I love that I need nothing but my sea pass card and my fully charged camera when I leave the room. I love the bartender remembers dad because he was his first customer on this cruise. I love Rahim our amazing front desk guy that spent 30 + minutes with us this morning helping to figure out how in the world I am getting to Reus airport on Friday and has given me $40 of internet credit. I love that there is a robe waiting for me when I get out of the shower and that Tatiana says she can hear the smile in my voice when I am coming down the hall. Don’t get me wrong, there are things that aren’t always perfect – but why focus on those when there is so much good?
Tomorrow we are in Naples -our last port of call. Dad and I have decided to ferry to Capri a spot that neither of us have been to but both want to explore. I am so looking forward to it! Ciao ciao for now.

No comments: