Thursday, January 7, 2010

the vault

So tonight, I am in Costco with Dad and Jo after the most delicious vietnamese dinner at this place in Frederick (um...if I am going to be travel blogging, I need to get better with names of spots that I go!), in search of a cd - when I see it...a section of CDs called the vault. Included are: Guns and Roses, Tom Petty and Def Leppord - hello! Since when did my music become the type that is discounted at a super store (no offense Costco, you know how much I love you but tonight you really through me for a loop between not carrying my memory stick, fame monster and now THIS>!$?) But if vintage is in and these cds are vintage, then I guess I am cool...whatever.
Planning a trip is not for the faint hearted...thank you to anyone reading this that has at all taken on this on my behalf. Here is what I have learned:
1) It is NOT easy to get to South America
2) It is really difficult to get there at a decent time from the west coast
3) I should have attempted to do worlds better in spanish back in high school rather than rely on Sherrie to get me through
4) Standards of hotels change and I am actually contemplating staying on a floating island with no running water or electricity - who am I?
5) Dad suggested not bringing my beloved mac - and I think I almost cried (okay, that is not really something that I learned but it was worth mentioning)
6) Hotels that claim they are in a great central location often mean to the airport and not to la playa...tricky
7) Cures to altitude sickness are to drink lots of water, rest and ginger
8) Orchestrating this whole thing- flights, the 9 day tour, hotels, etc. not as easy as it looks or so much fun but I know that it will be worth it

No comments: