Veterans Day came and went. I want to start off by saying that all vets should have off that day! Its not fair that people that have sacrificed for their country need to go to work to earn a living on this day of honor and remembrance.
I got to thinking about those in my family that have served - and how highly I regard them. My paternal grandfather that I didn't get to know all that well was a Marine (I need to read his biography to learn more about his experiences but I did hear that he showed up on college campus in his uniform and made my grandma swoon. He also wrote her a letter almost everyday while he was away since postage was free!) My maternal grandfather was in the Army and served in WW II. I have a comfy, grey, ARMY t-shirt of his that is one of my absolute favorites. Every time I hear I am Proud to be an American and I'll Be Home for Christmas, I well up and think of him. Granddad Keefe and Uncle Bud were in the Navy. How I love and respect these two men and could listen to them talk for hours. I feel blessed to have them in my life. It was my stepdad that I spent part of Veterans Day with and unfortunately couldn't voice the words that I wanted to say. How? How can you be such an amazing person after being through all that you did? How did you do all of this at the age of 18? How does one cope with what you and so many had to once you returned from Vietnam?
I've heard him tell some stories about losing his best friend within days of being on the other side of the world. I think that I have an idea of the pain that he deals with on a regular basis due to his time there, but I also know that he does a really good job of smiling through it and that in reality, I cannot imagine what he endues each and every day. Three purple hearts and countless lives saved and lost...
I am proud of the man that he is and sorry for what he - and so many others had to go through. He was able to spend the weekend celebrating, story telling and being honored as he so deserves in Philadelphia for an annual Marine birthday gathering. My heart swells thinking of the reception that he received and the bond that these men share. God bless all of the men and women who have served and are serving. We are forever indebted.
No comments:
Post a Comment