Thursday, June 16, 2011

"stuff happens"

I pretty much only have one job for the wedding - and that is to take care of the hotel room block. I thought that I had done this until we were spending a near perfect summer day at Chrissy's with Kate and little Lucy and the phone rang. Apparently one of Kevin's friends tried to reserve a room and was told that there was no group under that name. Ahhhhhhh! I panicked a bit and was able to get the girl on the phone that I had talked to about a month ago when we set all of this up - or I thought that we had. Needless to say, there was a bit of paperwork that followed, a few emails and now bada-bing we are all set and back in business - errr - in business :) I was telling my soon to be stepdad this later and his response: stuff happens. I had to actually take a step back and think about how right he is. There were a gazillion different ways that one could have responded to this and his way was just perfect and unexpected considering the circumstances. He is someone who has been through so much and seen things that I cannot imagine at such a young age. He was forced to grow up cruelly on the other side of the world while fighting in the Vietnam War. His stuff happens attitude and his overwhelming love and embracement of our family is mind-blowing. Stuff does happen - and its all about how we deal with it.

No comments: