As I wanted to, I kept a journal while I was traveling. Here goes:
Well- I must say the past day and a half have been un-freaking-believeable. Flights were long but fine - I arrived into Rome with my luggage in tow and after much back and forth, sweating and determination, found the correct place to buy a ticket to Termini. I had printed out instructions how where I needed to be and how to get there. Once on the train, I made friends with a nice older couple that was also from California and a cute guy from Uraguay. We tried to communicate as best as we could - I understood that he was on his way to Salerno for a few months to help his brother's girlfriend open a bar. In Rome, he helped me figure out which ticket booth and platform and was very sweet to go out of his way for a stranger. It's people like him that make me want to do something crazy like up and move and try something unconventional for a while. It also makes me appreciate the kindness of others. He had an amazing accent and after 24 hours + of traveling was a breath of fresh air. I purchased my ticket to Naples (2 hours), spoke to Alessandro and Kristen and watched the scenery roll by while I relished in how much room I had compared to on the plane. A picked me up and drove me to my hotel in Sorrento. We stopped for Italian coffee (strong! basically just an espresso shot in a cute little cup that you drink at a walk up coffee bar) and to make pictures along the coast. We unloaded my stuff and met up with Kris. The hotel was right on the water and the girls were laying out on the deck. Alessandro and I drove into downtown to have lunch outside at this corner cafe - white wine, pasta, bread - yum. I ordered the better dish than he did and got a kick out of that. He dropped me off to meet the girls and headed back home for a few hours. Oh my! The view once I got off the elevator...basically it is at the bottom of a cliff, the girls were napping and it was so peaceful. Around 6 pm Italy time they headed to the market and I took a shower and we chilled for a bit before getting ready for our first night in Sorrento. I got to hear about Tuscany and all of the wine they had shipped back - we blew a fuse and laughed a lot. The hotel is beautiful and as I write this I am sitting on our patio facing a park and street with the sounds of scooters flying by (people drive crazy here!) We ventured down to the square - just a few blocks- putxed around and then ended up at a cheesy American kareoke bar called Danielle's with the promise of buy one get one free. Limencello was the drink of choice!Kristen sang Like a Prayer which was great. A met us around 10 pm and we were off to dinner at an adorable spot outside drooling at the thought of Napolitian pizza. A knew the guys at the restaurant and they sat us outside. One Italian guy and 4 American girls caused quite the stir! The table of sweet Scotish couples behind us were giving Amessandro thumbs up - it was hilarious. He gave us the insider's perspective and I loved seeing him in his element. He treated us which was very sweet. Steph wasnt feeling 100% so she headed back and the 4 of us ventured out for a cocktail after a delicious dinner. We neded up at this loungey spot down a side street that played great music - lady gaga,etc. I figured, when in Rome and somehow was able to rally. After the bar, we did some exploring in the city and then I crashed. The first alarm went off at 7:30 am and we threw ourselves together for the free breakfast buffett and then our ferry to Ishia. I cannot put into words how picturesque this island was. Things were a little hectic at first because we didn't really have a plan and the local taxi drivers were all over us. After hitting up a much needed bancomat for some euro, the day was perfect. We headed to Negumbo for the infamous mineral baths. If you EVER get the chance to go, do it. The place was like a dream - 20+ different baths, gorgeous pool, spa, beach, etc. We figured out what we def wanted to do, made massage appts for 3 pm, had amazing cappicino - and were off. The bath experience was super cool and so relaxing - well, some of them were, others were intense like the hot cold japaense style. Jen and I got in to a fit of hysterics while trying to complete our recommended 5 laps. Volcanic baths, thermal baths, figure 8, waterfalls hammering at your shoulders - amazing! We had lunch in the self serve (they don't know the meaning of a side salad) and headed to the beach for an hour or so before our appts. My massage was called envy of the gods and it certainly was that. I couldn't tell you the guy's name, but he had hands like butter and I was super relaxed - what a fabulous birthday present for Kristen. We left our disneyland for adults by cab to head to the port. Kristen somehow broke her sunglasses and flip flops which was pretty funny. We took pictures, had some gelato and soon headed back to Sorrento.
No comments:
Post a Comment