Friday, May 20, 2011

27 hours in nyc

You know you are in New York when you have three cups of coffee at three different places in just over three hours. Then you get to the bus stop line (where you have been telling people the bus really isn't that bad) and the buses are running over an hour late - and then the two bus coordinators start yelling at each other. Just another day, I suppose. I arrived in the city Thursday evening and was relatively proud of myself for finding the closest subway stop and hightailing it downtown - did I mention I passed the downtown signs several times, knew that I was going downtown and yet still kept searching for uptown...I made it though to the West Village area and was reunited with Meredith. We hit up this cute little neighborhood spot for dinner - Moustache (pronounced not at all like you would think), stopped for necessities at the corner store where we most definitely saw a mouse -ewwww, then hit up an adorable little gelato spot. My nerves had subsided a bit thankfully.
Today I got myself together and set off for Grand Central station to meet two very smart and funny guys and talk work stuff - we will see what happens from there! I for whatever reason decided it would be a good idea to just do some exploring and putz around in the rain in heels weaving through tourists and wet umbrellas. Ended up in a cute little cafe in Chelsea where I could rest my barking dogs and people watch. Then walked 14 blocks uptown to meet Heather! It was so good to see her - she is just coming off of her 30th birthday and the celebration in Vegas (so not my favorite place but I think that I am in the minority there). After I gave up on walking and rode the subway back to Todd and Meredith's/my NYC home.
In two days I leave for Scotland to join a 6 day backpackers tour which should be an interesting experience. I am challenging myself to not check any bags...so we will see how that goes. I am excited for the beauty that awaits and of course to meet up with Kendall and have a few days in Paris before we fly back to the states. I always think that each trip is going to be my last and am pleasantly surprised that I have managed to squeeze in a few more than expected :)

No comments: